“Go Big or Go Home” Encaustic workshop (Nov 2020)
November 16 @ 10:00 AM - November 17 @ 4:00 PM$395
- Olive Yellow
- Cerulean Grey
- Blue Ochre
- Green Gold Ex. Pale
- Titanium White
- Basic color mixing: Learn how to mix your own colors instead of painting straight from the “tube”
- Transparent & opaque layering: We will practice how to achieve layers of depth – one of the most alluring aspects of encaustic art.
- Fusing UPRIGHT: YES! It IS possible!
- Creating a cohesive composition: Move past the melted rainbow tie-die backgrounds! We will discuss how to bring all the elements together into a painting that works.
Student work from class…
So what is included in the workshop?
- R&F Encaustic Paint: we will be using a limited palette of 5 specialty colors
- R&F Encaustic Medium: I’ve got the medium melted and ready to go!
- Tools: Brushes, incising tools, scrapers, rubber tools, etc….
- The Heat: Iwatani torches are available for you to use.
- Safe working environment: Limited seating offers you elbow room to spread out. You get a whole table to yourself! Galvanized sheet metal at each table provides a safe work space. And oh yes, the classroom is ventilated!
Most of the materials are included but I am including a small list of things you should bring as well:
- 1 cradled birch panel (American Easel brand recommended) size options: 24 x 24 / 18 x24 / 12 x 36 / 24 x 30
- NO CANVAS BOARDS OR STRETCHED CANVAS, NO MASONITE, NO PLYWOOD, NOTHING GESSOED WITH ACRYLIC GESSO
- Boards are available for purchase in the store if needed
- Bottled water, snacks and lunch (It is very important to hydrate yourself with encaustic)
- I ask students to please eat outside of the classroom to get some fresh air. Drinks are fine inside the classroom. There is a Starbucks across the street and restaurants within walking distance from the store.
- Notebook & pencil for taking notes
- Appropriate attire and a great attitude: long hair tied back in ponytail, no flip flops, avoid loose-fitting “flowy” clothes. Be prepared to learn and have fun!
Please submit the above form as the classes fill up fast and are limited to 4 students. PayPal is accepted / credit cards are easily accepted through “Square” (preferred) and will finalize your registration! Encaustic class cancellations must be made 2 weeks prior to the workshop. All PayPal refunds will be redeposited into your PayPal account. Refunded money may take up to 7 business days to appear in your bank account depending on payment method and bank processing. If you’ve registered for the workshop and don’t show up (have not cancelled within 2 weeks) your payment will be retained.
Where to park? Check out these Midtown Sacramento parking tips to help you have an awesome workshop experience!